You type “Quad Cities Wedding Photographer”(or your city name) into google and there’s some that come up with 5-star ratings, and there’s endless, endless names to go through. Intimidating no? Depending on the city that you live in, it’s more complicated looking for a photographer than it is to look for a venue. Perhaps you got lucky and you know a great photographer from a friend, or your friend got married and you *definitely* want that style for yourself!
Some others aren’t quite so lucky and turn to google for help and are totally lost. This can be the reason for being unable to book the photographer you wanted because, well, it’s easy to put off when it takes so much time to go through each photographer’s website and look for pricing.
Here are some tips:
- - What is your style? Traditional, Fashion, Candid/Lifestyle, Modern? Once you know this you can search those certain words into your google search which will help narrow down your results.
- - Portfolio, do they have a variety of shots that you are looking for? There are brides that are very particular in the style that they want, if you know what you are looking for, make sure you are seeing photos ( you fit that style) in their portfolio section.
- Less is more. Sometimes a photographer doesn’t have 3 full pages of portfolio, this does not mean that they are a “Less experienced” photographer. Also remember that some couples prefer not to have their work advertised on the web, so there may be weddings not shown but the photographer has experience.
- Pricing: Most photographers have a bottom pricing start point on their pricing or investment page, others do not and they say to contact them. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this. If you like their work and want to meet up, send them a message!
- What is your budget? Remember that wedding photographers are doing this, or trying to do this full time. There are up to 120 hours+ that go into each wedding, not including wedding design. Cheap is not always better. Try to respect your budget and also the photographer’s pricing at the same time. Wedding photographers range from $2k-$20k.
- How to navigate a packages/pricing. Each photographer prices their work differently, though most will offer 3-4 packages based off of time. What is more valuable to you, a photographer who is able to tell a story with photos all throughout the day with no time line? Or a photographer who gets all the important pieces of the day and supplies you the essential memories you need for your day? Perhaps you have a quick city hall wedding and you really just don’t need the whole over the top all day, tons of photos, then perhaps you just need a quick 4 hour package. What is important to you is how you determine which package you want.
- Are albums important to you? Wall art? Canvas? Really think about these things as they will help you make a decision quicker.
- Rapport with the photographer. When you meet with them, how do you feel? If you have a great connection off to the start and the conversation flows easily, that’s a great sign that you are a good fit for each other. This is a huge occasion and you want to make sure that you really get along with someone who is going to be hanging around potentially all day!
Stayed tuned for my next blog post as I will be talking about which venue will suit you and your style, as well as how a venue can achieve the best photos!
If you liked this post and want more tips about planning your wedding in the Quad Cities, please visit my Quad Cities Wedding Photography page!
Miriam of Miriam Buncher Photography is a Quad Cities wedding photographer located in Davenport, Iowa. Miriam is a wedding, family, child and senior photographer serving the Quad Cities, Iowa City, Chicago and the surrounding communities.